Puckpool Battery is a Palmerston fort located near Ryde on the Isle of Wight. Construction of the battery began in 1863 and was completed in 1865, in order to protect the island from the perceived threat of French invasion.
The battery was heavily armed to enable it to protect the Solent, which it overlooks. It was updated and its guns modified up until its disarmament in 1927.
In 1928 it was sold to the local council, however in World War II it was brought back into use as a training facility, know as HMS Medina.
After the war it returned to the hands of the local council, open as a public park. Today the battery is publicly accessible, in a nice location for a short wander around the gun emplacements. Parts of the battery have been demolished over the years, however the guard room, barrack block and magazines survive, but are unfortunately inaccessible.