This tall Victorian red brick building was built between 1865 and 1871 to pump sewage from Norwich’s sewers to a nearby sewage farm for processing. It also pumped into the river it neighbours using three beam engines.
It was modernised in 1910 and again in 1961 in line with upgrades to the wider sewage network in the area. Today a modern sewage system can be found in the building next door. The impressive Victorian building now lies abandoned, disintegrating and lacking the grandeur of engineering projects of the time.
Being in the vicinity of modern sewage infrastructure, the area was well secured, with multiple armadillo camera/sensor/alarm systems. The hum of the current sewage station could be heard in the background as we crept around the site, avoiding the gaze of neighbours and motor sensors. We could not gain access to the main building, however the architecture could be admired from outside. The building is not listed and has been out of use for some time, its future unknown.
Last Updated on 19 September 2022 by Michael