Not far from Reading, Wilder’s folly, which is also known as Pincent’s Kiln, Nunhide Tower and Flint’s Folly, sits atop a hill in the countryside.
The tower was built in 1769 at the request of Reverend Henry Wilder, whilst he was dating Joan Thoyts. It is rumoured that Wilder built the folly to gain Thoyts attention- the tower was constructed in a position that could be seen from Thoyts’ home as well as from his own residence, Sulham House, which can still be seen through the arch of the structure.
If this romantic story is to be believed, then Wilder’s plan certainly worked- the two married on 23th June 1769 and had eleven children.
The folly itself is a beautiful brick tower, which today acts as a dovecote. At the time of its construction there was an external staircase which led to a painted first floor room. The two floors above the ground level opening both originally had glazed windows, which were bricked up in the late 19th century.